Wednesday, July 7, 2010

How it went...

Today was dissatisfying. My appointment was fast and uninformative. The nurse practitioner (NP) told me that my blood work suggested PCOS because my LH was 18.7 and my FSH was 6.3. She explained that although my levels were in the normal range, that my LH was three times the FSH level, which indicated PCOS.

The appointment felt very rushed. She did not talk about more diagnostics, but rushed right to prescribing me Provera and Clomid. She gave us a flier for a lab for P's semen analysis and told me to call and make an appointment when I get a period. She told me to chart my cycles to make sure that I ovulated. After three cycles, if I am not pregnant, she said I would have to see "the men in black."

I didn't ask enough questions, such as whether my ovaries should be checked for cysts, considering all of the symptoms I have been having. She did not seem at all interested in the symptoms I told her about.

I am unsure of what to do. Should I just take the meds and get started, or should I call and make an appointment with my regular physician (who is patient and informative and awesome)? I also wish I discussed waiting a few months to see if ovulation would be triggered by starting an exercise routine and losing weight.

I started the Provera today anyway, because I want to end this cycle (which is over 85 days long at this point).

. . . . . . . . . .

As for P's semen analysis that was scheduled for this afternoon with his new primary care physician, it did not happen. I called after my appointment and cancelled because the whole point of the appointment was to get a script and send us to the lab. I did not realize this until the NP explained that the primary care physician did not do semen analyses, and would just give us a script, etc. My insurance does not require referrals, so we cancelled the appointment to save paying the copay for no reason. The NP gave us a specimen cup and we made an appointment to drop it off Monday morning (July 12th) at 8:30 AM.

1 comment:

  1. That does not sound right! Isn't there another RE that you can see for a second opinion and for a complete visit? Perhaps you are better off going to see your regular physician and ask him to recommend another fertility clinic. I am sorry you are going through this sweetie and I hope that your doctor will be able to suggest a clinic that will be able to spend more time explaining and analysing what's going on with you rather than give you a dismissive answer. I can't stress enough how important it is to have a RE that understands your concerns and listens to your questions and most importantly answers them in detail. Good luck sweetie!

    ReplyDelete