Saturday, August 14, 2010

The week in review

This week sucked. My OBGYN appointment on Tuesday went terribly. I did not end up seeing Dr. W. At the last minute, a new doctor came in to check my ovaries, which in that practice meant a pelvic exam.

This new doctor obviously had not looked at my chart before she came into the room. She had no idea why I was there until I told her. I asked if someone could actually look at my ovaries to make sure there weren't any cysts because of some symptoms I had been having. New doctor refused to do an ultrasound, even though the stupid machine was RIGHT OUTSIDE THE DOOR (because I told the nurse I would be asking for one!). She said that they did ultrasounds to check for cysts after three months on clomid... my mouth kind of dropped open at that. I told her I have a history of cysts and irregular, very painful, long, heavy periods and would feel better taking clomid again if my ovaries were checked for cysts. She didn't really answer.

Next I asked about metformin. She told me that taking metformin would not help me because "studies showed clomid was the best drug for PCOS patients." When I asked about further diagnostics, such as checking my glucose levels for insulin resistance, she told me that was "old fashioned." I have no clue what that means.

When I showed her my chart, which the horrible nurse practitioner told me to bring in when I got my ovaries checked, she looked at it like it was Greek and told me that I could stop temping because it was inaccurate. She told me to use OPKs instead. I told her I was using them already and had not gotten a positive yet. She told me maybe the digital ones would be better for me... I politely informed her that I had no trouble telling whether the strip was positive or negative...

I left the appointment feeling much more hopeless than before I went. Again I felt like I was not being listened to and respected as a patient. I asked new doctor if it was normal at her practice for a patient to make an appointment with one doctor, but then see another with no notice. She was pretty surprised I asked that question and told me it was not normal, but that Dr. W was backed up and "the younger patients don't usually mind seeing a different doctor."

It seems that at this practice, the treatment follows a rigid schedule depending on the diagnosis, regardless of the individual needs of the patient. That just does not work for me. I have no confidence in my ability to ovulate and no confidence that they are going to help me.

Needless to say I cried all the way home from the appointment and almost for the rest of the afternoon. Then Wednesday I had to drive 3 hours north for my uncle's funeral (we weren't close, I just went to support my aunt- he was very abusive, long story).

Disaster doctor appoint + complicated feelings at uncle's funeral + STILL no ovulation = I am pissed.

I have been researching Southern New Jersey REs. I have a few in mind, but have not made an appointment yet. I am going to wait until I feel the urge to call. For now, I am going to keep temping and doing the OPKs and give my body a few more weeks to ovulate. I am on cd 27.

. . . . .

P and I just ate our weight in dominos pizza and lava cakes. I know I shouldn't, but it was freaking good and I feel better. I might have to have a glass of red to finish the night.

5 comments:

  1. i haven't been able to look too far into your blog/story yet, but i would strongly suggest dr. jerome check at cooper ivf in marlton, he is super smart and will take all the time in the world with you, plus they work to keep rates affordable. we paid around $6700 for our first ivf which was out of pocket. they have the system down pat and great success rates! cooper ivf

    if you can travel a bit further i would say go with dr. seth derman at princeton ivf-warm and caring, he is an ob gyn as well. they just built and a new ivf lab and have great rates as well!
    princeton ivf
    good luck and ill be following along ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. i didn't mean to insinuate that they are only good for ivf, it's just that im so used to talking about that! they are both great at ALL types of ART! and i believe either one would get you all preggered up!
    xoxo
    lis

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a horrible appointment. i hope you can find a decent doc instead of this one. sending hugs and i hope you enjoyed the pizza :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry that this doctor didn't treat you well - definitely find someone better! RE's treat fertility patients much better than regular OB's - obviously don't do anything until you're ready, but they can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you had such a bad appointment.. I say look for a RE rather than an ordinary doctor.. like Alex said they do treat patients much bette and most importantly they know what they are talking about unlike this doctor! You did so well for speaking up and asking questions.. I just wished she had actually listened and did her job!! Big hugs sweetie xxx

    ReplyDelete