Thursday, October 7, 2010

b*tchiness continues

And now, there are six ultrasound photos hanging on the OUTSIDE of the pregnant woman's cubicle. I try not to stare at them every time I walk by, but I can't help it.

I feel like an @$$hole because instead of greeting this woman in the morning, I avert my gaze and walk by as quickly as possible. I don't feel any animosity toward her, but I do NOT wish to talk with her about her pregnancy, look at her ultrasound photos, or eat her munchkins.

Miss Ruby nailed it in her comment on my last post when she said that dealing with IF/RPL/fertility challenges stops normality. It really does.

I feel like a freak. No one in real life understands me anymore. My friends have no clue how I feel and my family, whom I am very close to, don't get it either. My Mom was shocked when I referred to my SIL as "fertile" in the same tone that I would refer to her as "idiot." She got annoyed with me and told me that I can't hold a person's fertility against them... and she's right, but I still do it.

4 comments:

  1. Are you f'ing kidding me? That's terrible to hang ultrasounds on the outside of her cube - even if I wasn't a raging infertile, I would think it's inappropriate for work.

    Yes, I've sneered when referring to people as fertile too. I know I shouldn't blame them, but still - makes me feel a little better I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is no way we can help this kind of shit. It makes you normal, but by no means makes this any easier.
    6 pictures, really??? So not ok.
    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm I actually think that hanging ANY ultrasound pics is inappropriate for work and as much of a bah humbug this makes me sounds I'd be making a request to management that she doesn't display them, it's a place of business and you should be able to go to work without having to deal with infertility there.

    And as for the "fertile" comment, perhaps if more "fertiles" were understanding of the impact of infertility, we wouldn't feel the need to refer to them in such a way...

    Big hugs

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think one ultrasound ON YOUR DESK is maybe ok if you're not hugely obvious about it. if it's huge and blown up and you can't go to your desk without looking at it, it's NOT OK AT ALL.

    i think miss ruby is spot on (with both parts of her comment, actually), and if management don't help i'd approach HR.

    i'm sorry you're having to deal with this.

    ReplyDelete