Thursday, September 22, 2011

she's here!

Am.elia was born on September 6th at 4:14 PM. She weighed 7.6 lbs and was 21 inches long (but only 19 inches after her cone head went down, ha).

P and I are tired, but so, so happy and thankful. I am in the process of writing up the birth story and will get that up, probably in parts, soon.

We are doing well breastfeeding. She eats well and I produce a ton of milk, but I am still really awkward with the different holds. I have big b.oobs and haven't quite figured out the best position for us. Right now we either do the football hold on a stack of three pillows, or the cross cradle with the boppy. When using the boppy, I usually find myself hunched over her with an aching back. We will work it out, I am sure. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also, she is not a textbook two to three hour feeder. She usually eats every three to four hours, with one or two feedings an hour apart in the evenings. If I try to feed her more often, she simply refuses to wake up, no matter what I do to wake her. It makes me really nervous when she only eats 7 times in a 24 hour period (according to all the breastfeeding literature, she should be eating 8-12 times). I try not to stress too much though, because she was at birth weight three days after she was born and poos and pees like crazy.

Other than these concerns, she is such an easy baby. She almost never cries (*knock on wood*), eats well, and sleeps between feedings. Oh, and she is super, super cute. (Pictures coming, I swear).

4 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! I love the name, that's one I've considered, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you! And welcome to the world, Am.elia! You have an amazing mama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Such wonderful news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear your lovely news :) Her name is gorgeous!

    I hold J across my body - he's heavy but you build up arm strength as you go along :/ just keep trying different things out, it'll keep on getting easier!

    And as long as she's gaining well, not dehydrated and peeing and pooing regularly, sod how often the books say you should be feeding :) Chances are she's taking more than average in on the feeds she is having :)

    Well done again!
    xx

    ReplyDelete